Two 14 year old cooks from the Isle of Wight have been crowned Create and Cook Competition champions by BBC2’s Masterchef: The Professionals champion, Chef Steven Edwards, winning praise for their impressive use of Island produce as well as £1000 for their school’s food technology department. Read the whole story. 14 year old Joe Doncaster's winning recipe is below.
400g diced rabbit meat
4 tbsp Calbourne Water Mill soft plain flour*
3 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 small leek, sliced thinly
1 tsp fennel seeds
150ml Godshill dry cider
500ml chicken stock
4 tbsp Isle of Wight double cream
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
250g Calbourne Water Mill soft plain flour*
125g cold butter, diced
4 tbsp cold water
1 medium egg, beaten
1. Toss the rabbit in 2tbsp flour and add some black pepper to season.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep frying pan or casserole dish, add the rabbit meat in small batches browning evenly.
3. Remove the meat on to a plate.
4. Pour the remaining oil into the pan, add the leek, and fennel seed, and cook gently until softened.
5. Stir in the remaining flour, cook for 1 minute, pour in the cider and bring to the boil.
6. Add the stock and meat. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 35 - 40 minutes until the meat is tender.
7. Stir in the cream and mustard and leave to cool. Pour into individual pie dishes.
Note: Joe cooked his rabbit in a pressure cooker to speed up cooking.
1. Pre heat oven to 190C Gas mark 5
2. Sieve the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter. When mixture resembles breadcrumbs, stir in enough cold water to form a firm dough.
3. Remove from the bowl and wrap in cling film. Chill for 20 minutes.
4. Roll out the pastry to a rectangle, and using a floured knife cut into even 2.5cm wide strips. Weave into a tight lattice.
5. Brush the edge of the pie dish with beaten egg, gently lift the lattice pastry on to the dish. Press down the edges and trim.
6. Brush the top with remaining egg and place on to a baking tray. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
7. Serve with baby carrots, radishes and peas.
*Available from The Southern Co-operative’s Local Flavours range